[Tagging] amenity=retirement_home and social facility

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 21:57:34 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Il giorno 01 lug 2016, alle ore 21:41, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> ha scritto:
>
> There is certainly a general trend to provide such social services on a smaller
> scale, e.g. children are not locked into dormitory-style orphanages
> anymore but cared for in family-like group-home structures, and the elderly
> live in smaller units equipped with their own furniture.

yes, there's this trend, but it doesn't mean you can't find any "oldschool" institutions anywhere in the world by now. I believe the social facility tagging originally closed a gap for tagging more things of the "social world", but it didn't replace (with the original values) the established tags nursing home and retirement home (it likely kept them out on purpose because they've already been set).

As there seems now a will to unify these similar features all under the social facility umbrella (btw. with the current rendering db used for carto osm, it will become impossible to distinguish between a group home for young drug addicts or a nursing home for seniors or a daycare, they're all be social facilities for a moment), it seems logical that we provide "social_facility" values for them.

cheers,
Martin