[Tagging] amenity=retirement_home and social facility

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Jul 1 23:08:04 UTC 2016

Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> writes:

> Wikipedia also seems to confirm that this is a specific service
> (although I don't buy the "too young for a retirement home" part):
>
> "Assisted living as it exists today emerged in the 1990s as an
> eldercare alternative on the continuum of care for people, for whom
> independent living is not appropriate but who do not need the 24-hour
> medical care provided by a nursing home and are too young to live in a
> retirement home. Assisted living is a philosophy of care and services
> promoting independence and dignity."

The first half of the first sentence is correct, but the 2nd half is
bogus.  It's also out of line by wikipedia's standards.

I have seen assisted living places in the US.  There, 70-75 is young,
and most of the residents have some kind of age-related difficulty that
makes it awkward, unsafe, or unpleasant to be in independent living.  A
few (maybe 3 in 100) will be younger, but have some kind of mobility or
cognitive impairment that basically is the same situation.  Now, people
basically transition from being in some kind of regular residential
(house, condo, maybe indpendent living) to assisted living, and then to
nursing home (some skipping AL with acute onset of problems, and some
dying before either step, of course).

Almost no one moves to a "group home" because of age-related mobility or
cognitive issues.

I no longer see any facility called retirement home.  I used to, and I
think it was something that was a little bit like AL but less care,
before the state set standards of what could be provided and what
training was needed for people to do it.