[Tagging] Layer and highway=steps

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 11:02:25 UTC 2016

"layer" is not relevant here. The "layer" tag is only used to indicate the
relative vertical position of the object with respect to other objects. So
steps would only have a layer tag if they are crossing another way, but not
connecting to it.

To indicate the up or down direction of steps, you can use the tag
incline=up|down. There is no default direction of steps, as far a I know.

Your question may refer to the "level" tag. In that case your steps are
connecting different floor levels of a building. I would not assign a
"level" tag value to a stair that connects the first floor (level=1) with
the second floor (level=2) of a building.

Volker