[Tagging] Tag for a scrap yard?

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 02:55:27 UTC 2016

We had a discussion here a few months ago about how best to tag what we
call in American English a junkyard. The result was a tag combination that
works for those yards that take wrecked automobiles and then sell parts
from them. This is a form of recycling I suppose but such a facility is not
typically thought of as a recycling center.

amenity=scrapyard
shop=car_parts
second_hand=only

If there is an area involved, use landuse=industrial as well.

We also discussed the scrapyard=* tag but no consensus was reached on it as
that wasn't the point of the discussion.

On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 2:11 PM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/5/2016 7:50 AM, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
>
>> > On Mon, Jul 04, 2016 at 08:26:23PM +0100, Dan S wrote:
>>
>> apparently the start of the thread is on the GB-talk list.
>>
>> rather widely is amenity=recycling + recycling=scrap_metal:
>>>>

>> ael wrote on 2016/07/04 22:25:
>>
>> The wiki seemed to suggest that was for containers - recycling points
>>> where stuff was left. Which didn't seem to fit.
>>>

>> I cannot find such suggestion. amenity=recycling is distinguished
>> into either recycling_type=centre or recycling_type=container,
>> and you can specify the material among others:
>> recycling:scrap_metal=yes/no
>>
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Drecycling
>>
>> I used amenity=scrap_yard
>>>

>> Only used 4 times, should be changed as above.
>>
>> and scrap-yard=metal
>>>

>> When the related value has an underscore you should not introduce a
>> hyphen here.
>>
>> But please follow the stream:
>>
>> amenity=recycling   164677x
>> recycling_type=centre 8200x
>> recycling:scrap_metal 9000x
>>
>> tom
>>

> Possibly the original feature is a 'bone yard' (american english), 'junk
> yard', wrecking yard' etc. These are where old scraped cars go to have
> parts removed and sold on for use on cars. As such they 'recycle' every
> thing they can off the car - windows, seats, engines, wheels, etc etc ...
> As such they recycle more than just 'metal'
>
> Possibly these should be tagged
>
> recycling_type=centre
> recycling:vehicle=yes
>
> The use of 'vehicle' is fairly general and would include motorcycles,
> trucks, tractors.. Possibly some may want to be more specific?
> vehicle:car=yes   etc.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand