[Tagging] Tag for a scrap yard?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 22:11:04 UTC 2016

On 7/5/2016 7:50 AM, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 04, 2016 at 08:26:23PM +0100, Dan S wrote:
>
> apparently the start of the thread is on the GB-talk list.
>
>>> rather widely is amenity=recycling + recycling=scrap_metal:
>
> ael wrote on 2016/07/04 22:25:
>
>> The wiki seemed to suggest that was for containers - recycling points
>> where stuff was left. Which didn't seem to fit.
>
> I cannot find such suggestion. amenity=recycling is distinguished
> into either recycling_type=centre or recycling_type=container,
> and you can specify the material among others:
> recycling:scrap_metal=yes/no
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Drecycling
>
>> I used amenity=scrap_yard
>
> Only used 4 times, should be changed as above.
>
>> and scrap-yard=metal
>
> When the related value has an underscore you should not introduce a
> hyphen here.
>
> But please follow the stream:
>
> amenity=recycling   164677x
> recycling_type=centre 8200x
> recycling:scrap_metal 9000x
>
> tom

Possibly the original feature is a 'bone yard' (american english), 'junk
yard', wrecking yard' etc. These are where old scraped cars go to have
parts removed and sold on for use on cars. As such they 'recycle' every
thing they can off the car - windows, seats, engines, wheels, etc etc
... As such they recycle more than just 'metal'

Possibly these should be tagged

recycling_type=centre
recycling:vehicle=yes

The use of 'vehicle' is fairly general and would include motorcycles,
trucks, tractors.. Possibly some may want to be more specific?
vehicle:car=yes   etc.