[Tagging] "no right turn on red" tagging?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Jul 5 11:28:58 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Johnparis <okosm at johnfreed.com> wrote:

> Ooh, I think Martin's suggestion would become a MAJOR project.
>
> If I recall correctly, "right turn permitted on red after stop" is the
> traffic law in the entire United States with the sole exception of New York
> City. (Wikipedia says this has been the case since late 1978.)
>
> Are you seriously suggesting that virtually every single traffic signal in
> the United States be tagged with "right turn permitted on red after stop"
> instead of tagging the few with "no turn on red"? How does this comport
> with the notion of tagging what you see -- the only signs you'll see in the
> USA are "no turn on red" (with the exception of NYC).

And there's the pacific northwest, where left turn on red is permitted
(even if it's an arrow) if there are no traffic lanes coming from your left
to get to it, essentially the same as the RTOR rules that allow you to make
a right turn on red if there's no traffic lanes coming from your right
between you and your desired destination lane.