[Tagging] Additions to public_transport scheme

Thu Jul 7 07:14:08 UTC 2016

On 07-07-16 08:15, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 07/07/2016 08:04 AM, Tijmen Stam wrote:
>> It's the place the stop is _in_.
>
> We usually resolve such issues by looking at the surrounding
> administrative area polygons. You will see that, for example, we have
> long since stopped tagging a village with
> "is_in=CountyA,StateB,CountryC" because the geocoder can easily
> determine this information from the admin boundaries. The same can be
> done for public transport stops.
>
> Or are you saying that the public transport company might use a
> different name for the administrative entity than can be deduced from
> the admin boundary?

Yes!
As an example:
The bus stop called "Veenendaal, Station de Klomp" (placename:
Veenendaal, Stopname "Station de Klomp")
is situated in the Hamlet of De Klomp, which is in an entirely different
province than the city=municipality of Veenendaal.

See
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/271169#map=18/52.04610/5.57297&layers=T>
for the stop, zoom out to see the municipality of Veenendaal in orange
and
<http://connexxion.nl/dienstregeling/halte?id=50810252&lijn=E080&richting=2&datum=07072016>
is the bus company's stop.

(Note that the bus stop's name is not the same as the train station's
name because there are more train stations in and around Veenendaal
The train station called "Veenendaal-De Klomp" is called Veenendaal
because it serves that city, despite the station being in hamlet "De Klomp")

Another example near me is where the two stops are in different
municipalities, despite that both stops are called placename Diemen by
the transport company.