[Tagging] amenity=retirement_home and social facility

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Jul 11 13:09:46 UTC 2016

Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> writes:

> Greg Troxel wrote on 2016/07/02 01:08:
>
>> Almost no one moves to a "group home" because of age-related mobility or
>> cognitive issues.
>
> Hm, maybe that is not so visible as a facility, but certainly lots of fitter
> seniors join to share a flat, with an individual room for each of them,
> privately organised among them.

In en_US, that is definitely not a "group home".  It's just a residence
with roommates.

My point is that in en_US, "group home" is a word that has very specific
connotations.  It implies very strongly that the residents have issues
that prevent them from living normally in society and that those issues
are not normal age-related ones.

> I also read about experiments with Alzheimer patients to supervise a small
> group of them in a regular apartment in contrast to a nursing home.

That sounds like it fits structurally as "group home".  Culturally it
just barely fits because Alzheimer disease is within normal age-related
problems.  But I wonder how that would fit in the regulatory regime
here.  An Assisted Living Residence license would probably be required.

My real point is that "group home" is a loaded term, and using it as a
tag where it goes beyond the US usage is likely to cause problems.