[Tagging] How to tag: public lands that are accessed by permit?

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 19 19:54:23 UTC 2016

On 2016-07-19 21:10, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
>> Il giorno 19 lug 2016, alle ore 20:41, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> ha scritto:
>>
>> If you need explicit permission, it's access=private, even if there are loads of people with that explicit permission.
>
> that's also what I had written on the imports list, but I think it's maybe time to rethink this and evaluate if we shouldn't have more possibilities to differentiate. Surely it is a big difference between a totally private driveway or industrial site and government land where you need a permission but everybody will get it almost automatically?
>
> Or another case again in some Italian towns: you need a permission to access with a motor vehicle, but you will only get it if you live there (still, these are not pedestrian like streets, they're more like normal roads, and besides residents psv, taxi and police, and public administration get permits).
>
> Not everywhere is GB where current access restrictions seem to be sufficient for describing the situation.

Agreed. However the distinction in this case is simply a) where do I
apply for a permit and b) how likely am I to get one, i.e. how fussy is
the landowner.

Your Italian streets are not IMHO "public" in the sense of access (maybe
they are in the sense of ownership). You are not allowed in (with a
motor vehicle), unless you have explicit permission, which may be
granted to a certain class of vehicle. The semantics are exactly the
same as for my back yard. If you haven't got permission, the way is
closed for you. I assume that is clearly signposted. I am thinking of
motor_vehicle=private,psv=yes,taxi=yes. Emergency doesn't need tagging
in my opinion - the emergency services will probably have legal
permission to ignore most restrictions if necessary anyway. I cannot
imagine an ambulance getting fined for not having a resident's permit
while saving someone's life. (On the other hand, there are some
incredible jobsworths about...)

Maybe we can tag something about how to obtain permission:
permit:issuer=Town Council or similar.

The situation in the UK is that you basically have an inalienable legal
right to pass over a public highway (but not to stop everywhere). The
landowner, whether that be an individual or the state, cannot deny you
access. Motorways are not a public highway - strictly, I think they
should be access=permissive.

//colin