[Tagging] How to tag: public lands that are accessed by permit?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 23:08:40 UTC 2016

> Your Italian streets are not IMHO "public" in the sense of access (maybe
> they are in the sense of ownership).

You are not allowed in (with a motor vehicle), unless you have explicit
> permission, which may be granted to a certain class of vehicle. The
> semantics are exactly the same as for my back yard.

no, it's completely different than your backyard, it's a public road, just
that you need a permit to drive there, but you don't need it to walk there
or to ride your horse. Also, if you went there without a permit in your
car, it would be an offense and you'd have to pay a fine, but if I went
without permission onto your backyard it would be breach of domestic peace
(I think, actually I looked this one up).

If you haven't got permission, the way is closed for you. I assume that is
> clearly signposted. I am thinking of motor_vehicle=private,psv=yes,taxi=yes.

in Italy, things are often not "clearly signposted", in the case I had in
mind, the situation is this:
https://www.google.it/maps/place/53045+Montepulciano,+Siena/@43.0907961,11.77882,3a,51.4y,41.95h,86.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srNvDNz79rEaWWl7YVnhkzg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x13295c04abeab307:0xcfbd667e662d3f92!8m2!3d43.0986938!4d11.7872467!6m1!1e1

don't let you fool by the main sign (it doesn't indicate a oneway road
here, this can also be seen 100 meters further at the next sign),
unfortunately google has blurred the additional sign, but I think it reads
something like "except authorized". I have asked locals how to get the
authorization, you have to apply, pay a fee, and get a permit for a year.

Cheers,
Martin