[Tagging] reviving an abandoned proposal

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 21:34:57 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Il giorno 22 lug 2016, alle ore 22:34, ael <law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com> ha scritto:
>
> Actually, having done a bit more research, I am not sure that anyone
> knows whether they were originally "cuttings" designed to offer shelter
> from prevailing wind and rain. Or whether they are indeed the result of
> erosion by use and weather over the millenia.

around here are very old cuttings in the rock dating to pre-roman times

http://tuqui.it/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/image-12.jpeg
http://www.maneggiobelvedere.it/Vie%20cave%20etrusche%20e%20paesi/Via%20Cava%20di%20San%20Giuseppe%20a%20Pitigliano.jpg

These are particularly impressive, but shorter ones can be found a lot. I've I have mapped a few and used historic=cutting with historic:civilization. Here is a short one: http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/130536519#map=19/42.01982/12.39154&layers=D

IMHO there should be a difference for hollow ways and cuttings in rock.

cheers,
Martin