[Tagging] Tagging for palapa

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Mon Jul 25 14:23:03 UTC 2016

The wiki has no entry that I see for a key value of “shelter:type”. But I think you are correct that it seems to be more logical and in keeping with current new tag standards to use the hierarchical form.

I suppose we could change this “how do I tag” thread into a “should we revise the wiki to show (and prefer) ‘shelter:type’ over ‘shelter_type’”.

I have an allergic reaction to “bikeshedding”, so I will probably just listen/watch on that. In the meantime, I think I’ll tag the palapa locations on that beach using both forms:

building=roof
roof:material=thatch
amenity=shelter
shelter_type=sun_shelter
shelter:type=sun_shelter

Though having “shelter” in both the key and the value seems redundant too. It would make more sense to have the value simply be “sun”. Yet another item to bikeshed. :)

And I wonder what the two instances of shelter:type=seaside_shelter are representing. The satellite view[1] indicates that it might fit the description in Wikipedia for a palapa, though not the umbrella shaped ones I posted links to earlier.

Cheers!

[1] http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/shelter%3Atype=seaside_shelter