[Tagging] Does disused:railway=* require railway=disused?

David Marchal penegal at live.fr
Thu Jul 28 06:54:14 UTC 2016

Hello, there.

I've been told in a JOSM ticket (https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/12866#comment:2) that the wiki states that disused:railway=* requires railway=disused, and, indeed, the wiki says that (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:disused:railway). I don't understand why as, AFAIK, the lifecycle prefixing doesn't requires this, as it merely intends to suppress the(highway|railway|*)=disused tagging. Requiring to keep this deprecated and redundant data sounds inconsistent and confusing to me, especially if this requirement is limited to railways. How do things stand regarding this matter?

Awaiting your answers,

Regards.