[Tagging] trail blaze vs route markers

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 08:19:36 UTC 2016

I recently noticed that information=route_marker had an entry on the information page, but trail_blaze didn't (I added it yesterday):
http://taginfo.osm.org/keys/information#values

Now looking route marker up in a picture search it clearly seems to indicate that this word is used for road route markers (like interstates etc.), while trail blaze seems to be the correct term for hiking route markings.

My question: should we treat these as synonymous or is there support for 2 distinct definitions? The latter would likely imply changing the definition for route markers (which btw. is used far less and wasn't afair discussed or proposed, neither was trail blaze, although I recall some discussion on tagging ml where it was mentioned).

Cheers,
Martin

sent from a phone