[Tagging] trail blaze vs route markers

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 22:47:39 UTC 2016

> sent from a phone
>
> Il giorno 08 giu 2016, alle ore 10:52, Philip Barnes
> <phil at trigpoint.me.uk <mailto:phil at trigpoint.me.uk>> ha scritto:
>
>> Please can you explain what trail blaze means?
>

> this is what the dictionary says:
> http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/blaze?q=trail+blaze#blaze-2__8
>

> "A mark made on a tree by cutting the bark
> <http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/bark#bark__2> so
> as to mark a route."

This is the true definition. These days it would be little used owing to
the attitude of damaging the tree.

> looking at the images I had come to the impression that it was used
> also for painted markings and small plates,

This is misconstruing, making black = white. Not uncommon with English
(or OSM)!

> also the examples they give seem to indicate that cutting the bark of
> a tree is not the only way to do it:
>
>   * In this game, a runner or group of runners blazed a trail and
>     marked it by leaving paper markers, or anything else suitable,
>     along the route.
>   * A hare is be given a short head start to blaze a trail, marking
>     his devious way with shreds of paper, soon to be pursued by a
>     shouting pack of harriers.

Here there is confusion of
a thing ; a trail blaze : a mark on a tree
an activity ; blazing a trail : the first marking out of a route.

> /
> /
> /
> /
> /these are for the word blaze, this is trail:/
> /
> /
> 3A beaten path through the countryside:/country parks with nature
> trails//easy waymarked trails for the casual walker/
>
> 3.1A route followed for a particular purpose:/the hotel is well off
> the tourist trail/
> /
> /
> /cheers,/
> /Martin /

For me:
  A trail blaze is a particular kind of route marker. I would use route
marker ... we don't distinguish between different kinds of route markers?