[Tagging] Request for new tag "natural=upland" (as way) or enabling "way" for "place" tags

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 23:38:59 UTC 2016

On 6/10/2016 12:56 AM, Amacri wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Tag place=isolated_dwelling, which should be used to name an almost
> unpopulated place (often in the mountains), can be currently defined
> as node (point) or polygon (area), but not as a way (line). Same
> consideration for place=hamlet or place=locality: using way is not
> allowed for them.
>
> It often happens that, when a place cannot be clearly delimited in the
> mountains, traditional maps typically draw its text, where the text
> itself outlines and shapes the covered region.

If these are 'places' then they should be tagged as 'places'.

If the 'place' can be verified as a line then tag it as a line.

BUT the old map may simply be using the text placement as an indication
of an area rather than a line.

I would not rely on the map/s alone .. needs a bit more investigation?

place=locality has some 7,800 uses as a line presently.

So I would use it as a line until more information is available. Add a
note to that effect?