[Tagging] Turn Lane Tagging?

James Mast rickmastfan67 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 11 02:16:42 UTC 2016

I've been using the "turn:lanes:*=none;slight_right" & "slight_left;none" tags to indicate which side a new lane has been added on a highway when going from 1 to 2 lanes (sometimes "slight_left;slight_right" if the original lane is centered between the two new lanes).  How else are people to properly identify which side the new lane is being added to?  Take a look at this way ( https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/419799887 ) and take a look at the Bing imagery and look at the 'turn:lanes:forward' tag, and you'll see how this can, and would be valid.  It's allowing the router to know that a new lane is being added when combined with the next way ( https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/419799886 ) which has the "lanes:forward=2" tag.  It also allows the routers to properly tell people to get in the left lane if just ahead, there's a left turn they need to make.

-James

[http://www.openstreetmap.org/assets/osm_logo_256-835a859acf0d378e1d14e88b15e7b4b95211ccd41a2c061b1629cfbbb8deb697.png]<https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/419799886>

OpenStreetMap | Way: ?Washington Avenue? (?419799886?)<https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/419799886>
www.openstreetmap.org
OpenStreetMap is a map of the world, created by people like you and free to use under an open license.