[Tagging] Turn Lane Tagging?

Bryan Housel bryan at 7thposition.com
Sat Jun 11 04:00:44 UTC 2016

Thanks James for the explanation, it does make sense now. I hope I wasn’t the only person confused to see that tag..

I appreciate all the work that you’ve put into adding lane details OSM.  My goal is to make lane tagging easy for everyone.

That said, I think you might be the only person in the world tagging turn lanes with `none;something`.  I checked taginfo and it seems like for value combinations like `left;none` there are around 5 in the world.  Yes, that count is off because Mapbox data team deleted some of yours and they shouldn’t have, and it’s great that they apologized, but still we are talking about something that looks kind of like an error and hasn’t been discussed anywhere that I can find.

For what it’s worth, I have also seen a few people suggest tagging like `width:lanes:start = 4|0`  `width:lanes:end = 4|4` (e.g. in meters) to describe the shape of that segment of road that widens into the turn lanes. Taginfo also suggests that this is used like 10 times in the whole world, and I also haven’t found it discussed anywhere.

Maybe this is a situation where the tagging list can discuss and come to consensus and do the whole wiki proposal voting thing?

We still have several months before the turn lane tagging will be available in iD, so there is plenty of time to work out these details.  In the worst case, we just won’t support it, and instead show a ‘?’ in the interface to indicate that there is some unrecognized tag in that lane and we will leave it alone.

Thanks, Bryan