[Tagging] Turn Lane Tagging?

Sun Jun 12 08:37:44 UTC 2016

On 12-06-16 04:11, Brad Neuhauser wrote:

>         On 2016-06-11 23:11, Tijmen Stam wrote:
>
>             On 11-06-16 04:16, James Mast wrote:
>
>                 I've been using the "turn:lanes:*=none;slight_right" &
>                 "slight_left;none" tags to indicate which side a new
>                 lane has been added
>                 on a highway when going from 1 to 2 lanes (sometimes
>                 "slight_left;slight_right" if the original lane is
>                 centered between the
>                 two new lanes).  How else are people to properly
>                 identify which side the
>                 new lane is being added to?
>

>             NOO!
>
>             That's what the transit:-tag is for:
>             <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/transit>
>

>     On 11-06-16 23:22, Colin Smale wrote:
>     > I assume "transition" is meant, and not "transit".......
>
>     c) nope, the wiki clearly states the "transit" key and that's what
>     the Lane and road attributes reacts to. I think transition would've
>     been better too.
>

> You mean, the *proposal* on the wiki (that has mainly been edited by one
> person, and that has not even been voted on) states that "transit" is
> the key. So, in fact now would be a *perfect* time to change the key to
> something that 1) makes better sense in vernacular English and 2) won't
> have a chance to be confused with transit in the sense of "public
> transit" or "mass transit". (note that
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Transit even redirects to
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Public_transport).

Hmm, I imagined the tag had been in some kind of widespread use, but
according to https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys it has some 700
uses, of which I estimate about 50-ish are from me (all in the
Netherlands). It sees heavy use in Belgium, and almost all other use
seems to be in Europe.
It wouldn't be hard to convert them all to a transition:lanes.

Also, the wiki pages on lanes need a cleanup and especially an uncluttering.

Tijmen