[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - learner driver

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Jun 28 13:29:55 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 6:52 AM, Michael Tsang <miklcct at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 28 June 2016 04:12:37 Paul Johnson wrote:
>

> > I can see this as potentially useful, except for one part:
> >
> > For values, see access <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access
> >=*.
> >
> > > The default is learner_driver
> > > <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:learner_driver>=yes
> > > <
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:learner_driver%3Dyes&
> > > action=edit&redlink=1>, with the exception of highway
> > > <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=motorway
> > > <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dmotorway> and
> highway
> > > <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=motorway_link
> > > <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dmotorway_link>,
> where
> > > the default is learner_driver
> > > <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:learner_driver>=no
> > > <
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:learner_driver%3Dno&a
> > > ction=edit&redlink=1> .
> >
> > In general, the access restrictions globally for motorways and
> > motorway_links is so varied as to have no rational default other than
> > access=yes unless otherwise explicitly tagged.  However, I would go more
> > modal-specific, though.  There are some situations in some places (I
> don't
> > know the exact specifics or I'd have already tagged it or at least
> floated
> > a note for someone else to take a look at if it's not likely I'm going to
> > get to it soon) where learners are OK, except people who are learning to
> > drive a truck.  So, <mode>:learner_driver=* might be better.
>
> I agree on the point that mode:learner_driver=* is better, but, however,
> isn't
> it common sense that learners are not allowed on motorways? Can you give me
> some regions where learners are, by default, allowed on motorways?

Non-definitively, Canada's southwestern provinces and every US state I
drove in prior to turning 21, as far as I'm aware, with the same
restrictions as usual (which was interesting since I was learning to drive
stick on my first family road trip driving, and the trip involved a
reversible motorway, an international border crossing, a 200 km/h zone
(since dramatically reduced) and an undivided, reversible motorway on our
trip from Beaverton, OR to Anmore, BC.  A later road trip to Jasper, AB
involved Idaho and Alberta in addition to the previous territories.  Worst
we encountered was a Mountie on the Oak Street Bridge (at the northernmost
end of the motorway that runs from Vancouver, Canada to Tijuana, Mexico)
heading into Vancouver City  Center saw me driving and stopped us to say he
wasn't sure if the province expected me to play by their rules or Oregon's
rules on my learner permit, but slapped a magnetic red L placard to the
back of the truck just in case.  I haven't heard any updates more recently
to suggest that learner permits in the states and provinces that offer them
are restricted by more than who can ride with you, what times you're
allowed to be on the road, and the supervision of someone holding a full
license.

Most of the states west of Appalachia even allow pedestrians and bicycles
on motorways unless otherwise posted (only 20 states, most east of there,
have a blanket rule; as a result, I generally encourage tagging explicitly
for these modes on motorways).