[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - learner driver

Kieron Thwaites kieron.thwaites at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 16:32:29 UTC 2016

On 28 June 2016 at 13:52, Michael Tsang <miklcct at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree on the point that mode:learner_driver=* is better, but, however, isn't
> it common sense that learners are not allowed on motorways? Can you give me
> some regions where learners are, by default, allowed on motorways?

Yes, here in South Africa.  Learner drivers are permitted on all
public roads (including motorways), provided a licenced driver (for
the class of vehicle being driven) is seated in the passenger seat (or
directly behind if no passenger seats -- think motorcycles).  In
addition, fare-paying passengers may not be driven by a learner
driver.

On 28 June 2016 at 15:30, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> True, but in OSM it's currently at best awkward to have a complicated
> set of defaults, because then that information has to be encoded into
> all renderers and routers.   We either need to have a single global
> default or to have some machine-readable specification of default values
> based on admin_level regions.   Given that so many rules are different,
> and that we don't have enough explicit tagging, I think the
> machine-readable specification approach is the only workable one.

I second this idea.  Learner driver access would belong nicely in such
a machine-readable default set: more often than not, it's a
country-wide legal restriction, and it just seems more straightforward
and elegant than adding access:learner_driver=* tags all over the
place.

That said, there's still a place for an explicit tag -- there are
always exceptions to the rule.

--K