[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - learner driver

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Jun 28 13:30:20 UTC 2016

Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> writes:

> It's not a question of common sense, it's a question of
> law...

Agreed.  I was just refuting the notion of "there should be one
international default".

> Countries and states may differ, but they will all have a
> default plus a way of indicating any exceptions. In OSM we tend to
> omit values that are default; however there is always a way to make
> the default explicit if one requires.

True, but in OSM it's currently at best awkward to have a complicated
set of defaults, because then that information has to be encoded into
all renderers and routers.   We either need to have a single global
default or to have some machine-readable specification of default values
based on admin_level regions.   Given that so many rules are different,
and that we don't have enough explicit tagging, I think the
machine-readable specification approach is the only workable one.