[Tagging] JOSM preset with strange tag values

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 08:12:36 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> wrote:

> While I don't want to defend the scheme of the preset (you should
> contact the author of the preset on why he/she choose that scheme),
> there are some benefits with that schema.
> With this schema I only need 1 query shop=motorcycle + rental=yes (or
> whatever is in the preset) to find all places where you can rent
> motorcycles.

+1

Agreed. That was what I meant when I said "one could make the argument that
a top level tag of shop=motorcycle with subtags to determine what
particular type of shop it is also makes sense and I think that's what the
writers of this preset are trying to achieve."

After discussing this with all of you I think what the Preset writers are
trying to achieve with shop=motorcycle is probably better than using
individual tags for rentals, parts, repair, etc. We're still left with some
strange tag values however, (oldtimer, brand), and the unusual choice of
terms for the "sale" tag and its values.

Some further thoughts: I have a hunch that the value "brand" as it appears
in the choices in the Preset is not meant to be used literally but as a
reminder to enter the name of the brand in the text box provided. That way
the tag clothes=yes/no/brand could take the value clothes=Levi. Same with
parts and repairs; if a particular brand is featured, one places that brand
into the text box. If so, this is a highly unorthodox approach.

While I was writing this reply Simon Poole tells us that the Preset has
been around for 6 years and trying to figure out why certain things were
done is probably not the best way to spend our time. He also agrees that
sale is a weird tag.

Lastly, the tag at the very bottom of the preset is "services=*" where one
is presumably to add other services offered by the shop. This too is a
highly unorthodox tag and also not well documented. Taginfo lists 11 pages
of keys containing thee word services but the list is dominated by
services=bus (391), services=tram (124) and services=yes (45)

How can we set about to change it? Should we?