[Tagging] Draft of proposal tag 'sells' for shops..

Ralph Aytoun ralph.aytoun at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 6 08:47:36 UTC 2016

My personal opinion is that this is getting totally out of hand.
Shops pay a lot of money to advertise their wares and you are stepping in
and trying to do commercial marketing for free.
Not only that but who is going to maintain this information? Shops rotate
their stocks on a seasonal basis. They also stock multiple brands!

So we will end up with tagging ...
sells:bread:white:medium:Hovis=
sells:bread:white:thick:Hovis=
sells:bread:50-50:medium:Hovis=
sells:bread:white:medium:Own_Brand=
sells:bread:white:thick:Own_Brand=
etc. etc. etc.

With this kind of trend we are definitely moving away from the realms of
sustainable Mapping and creating some kind of stock take for each shop! And
some of us know that with regard to stock taking even the shops themselves
are hard pressed to maintain an up-to-date record. So where does that leave
us two weeks, two months or two years down the line?

If GIS professionals want to access this kind of detail for a study of shops
in an area they would be totally nuts to use the Openstreetmap data for
their study, for any kind of credibility they would have to do an up-to-date
stock check of the shops in the study area before embarking on this kind of
study. I would prefer if we concentrated on just identifying whether it is a
clothing shop or a jewellery shop with a link to the shop's website for more
up-to-date detailed information of what that shop is promoting rather than
seeing time and effort spent on this kind of unsustainable detail.

Just my humble opinion.