[Tagging] Proposal to Change Road Classification, Road Surface, Road Condition, and Add Number of Lanes

moltonel moltonel at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 10:28:33 UTC 2016

On 5 March 2016 21:13:48 GMT+00:00, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Am 05.03.2016 um 15:25 schrieb Alberto <Alberto_Nogales at msn.com>:
>>
>> OSM does not establish the difference between inter-urban (rural)
>roads and urban roads (comprising mostly avenues and streets).
>

>there are tags in use that allow to make this distinction:
>source:maxspeed (if it's not signed ;-) ) and traffic_sign=city_limit

City limits rarely match the limits of urban areas. On one extreme there are multi-city agglomerations, on the other there are rural areas that are inside cities, for example in France where there is no "no-city's land", even the remotest countryside is part of a 'municipalité'.

That said, I dont see what would be gained in using completely separate highway classifications for urban/rural roads. The current scheme applies (as) well to both cases. It'd be silly to reclassify a road while it crosses a 'street village'. And I'm not looking forward to "where does the urban area start ?" debates.
--
Vincent Dp