[Tagging] Draft of proposal tag 'sells' for shops..

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 10:55:34 UTC 2016

On 7/03/2016 8:25 PM, Colin Smale wrote:

> How about limiting the list to product categories, according to an
> agreed taxonomy? Particularly categories which help to distinguish one
> shop from another. For example supermarkets might be expected to sell
> frozen food, but occasionally they might not. So frozen food would be
> a candidate for a product category. Some sell electrical goods, but
> not all of them. Another candidate for a category I think.
>
> The category level has to be high enough that it will be stable and
> not change frequently, but low enough that it has some value in
> deciding whether a shop is worth visiting.
>
> Striking this balance is something we are not always good at, as the
> discussion easily gets polarised and the outcome (if there is a clear
> outcome) is often a design-by-committee Frankenstein's monster of a
> tagging scheme... There has been a proposal in the last few days to
> redesign our highway tagging. Clearly this is not going to make it
> (because we have already a very well-established tagging scheme for
> this), but it does illustrate that a somewhat scientific approach to
> these tagging taxonomies, including some objective criteria to
> classify against, may have great value in the future. So in the
> context of shops, there must be an existing taxonomy somewhere that we
> could leverage. Possibly within the business itself (how do
> Tesco/Walmart classify their shops? What attributes do they store?) or
> industry organisations or statistical bodies (anything they provide
> statistics on, like "how many shops sell childrens clothes?" is a hint
> for a product category).

Well the military have been at it longer than Tesco/Walmart .... the
first level is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NATO_Supply_Classification_Groups
Of course they go down to individual items .. even identifying where it
was made, "You can have that screw ... from Denmark or UK, Sir?".  But
the first level maybe sufficient?  There are a lot of them ... some can
be ignored ... not much call for space vehicles nor guided weapons yet?
I do think there are too many ... and at least at present I would think
most won't get used.
Frozen food does not get mentioned .. if you remove the word 'frozen'
then you are fine... Outback shops in Australia sell bread ... always
frozen as it takes too long to transport it 'fresh'. So food types first

The branding thing... If you have a TREK bicycle with a frame failure
then you need a Trek dealer to make the lifetime claim on the damaged
frame. So I do think that has a role to play somewhere, if not under
'sells' then where?