[Tagging] Draft of proposal tag 'sells' for shops..

Marc Zoutendijk marczoutendijk at mac.com
Mon Mar 7 13:42:58 UTC 2016

> Op 7 mrt. 2016, om 08:56 heeft Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Thankfully, this is hypothetical because we won't do it. OSM is a geo
> database and not a sales directory.

+1

That’s exactly how I see it.
Never, ever would OSM be able to support such a sales directory in a reliable manner, resulting in few people using it because you never can be sure if OSM is missing some important data about the yamaha motor-cycle seller next door to you.

I developed http://openpoimap.org <http://openpoimap.org/> to help me in locating POI, but everytime I use it, it only tells me that the number of missing shops is far greater than the shops that *are* on the map.
But the same is not true for roads, rivers, landuse, buildings or other geo features. At least not in the countries I regurlay visit (in person or “virtual”).

I wouldn’t object against the “sells” tag, but I’m not going to use it.

Marc.