[Tagging] columns on mountain summits?

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Mon Mar 14 19:59:53 UTC 2016

Hi,

a changeset discussion with Mateusz made
me aware that besides crosses [2] and cairns [3] there might
be stone columns marking mountain summits. Searching for a
(de) gipfelsäule reveals round and square ones:

https://www.google.de/search?q=gipfels%C3%A4ule&tbm=isch

though I could not find a catchy English term for them yet.

I disagree however to tag them as OSM-monuments [4] as
they fail the "especially large" definition.

If they have the appropriate shape, they might be called
obelisk [5], or some might be survey points - but is there
a better idea for them in general?

tom

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/37632715
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:historic%3Dwayside_cross