[Tagging] shop=marine RFC

Richard ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 12:14:04 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 09:33:13AM +1100, Warin wrote:
> On 16/03/2016 12:33 AM, Stefano wrote:

> ><mailto:malcolm.herring at btinternet.com>>:
> >
> >    On 15/03/2016 09:42, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> >
> >        and do you go to the same shops?
> >

> >    Yes. Chandleries cater for all types of small craft.
> >

> >Chandlers are called also to supply materials and groceries to vessels
> >calling at the port (container / conventional ships), at least in my
> >company I hear them called as such also when dealing with foreign
> >agents...
> >
> >Stefano
> >

> Chandlers are commonly also used in Australia and New Zealand by those
> concerned. I see no reason not to continue using the term that is inuse in
> British English.

although I like traditions I think "boat supplies" has advantages like
beeing more specific and descriptive. Having read all the different
opinions and the wikipedia articles in 2 languages about ship chandlers
it seems that the term has a fairly broad meaning and not every ship
chandler would do boat supplies for small boats for example which was
the OPs main objective.

Richard