[Tagging] building=yes for multiple building

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Thu Mar 17 05:41:51 UTC 2016

On 03/16/2016 03:47 PM, joost schouppe wrote:
> Is it OK to map multiple buildings as one closed line with the
> building=yes tag ? Or does building=yes imply it is one single building ?

building=yes is a single building.

I have encountered this problem a lot in Senegal. I talked with local
mappers and I found the root cause: university GIS courses teach them to
map "built-up zones" and they gravitate towards building=yes for that.
We are pushing the message that it is not the right way to do it - that
is what landuse=* is for and there are also some place=* such as
place=city_block.