[Tagging] building=yes for multiple building

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 18:19:50 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Am 16.03.2016 um 15:47 schrieb joost schouppe <joost.schouppe at gmail.com>:
>
> Is it OK to map multiple buildings as one closed line with the building=yes tag? Or does building=yes imply it is one single building?

IMHO we should try to map every building as its own object, but you can't be sure that something mapped as building=* is indeed exactly one building and not more and not just a part of a building.

> There is the terrace value, but that implies one orderly structure, not the hodgepodge of houses, buildings and extensions that define organically grown blocks.

building=terrace can mean a terrace on its own but most of the times it is unfortunately a short form for terraced_house ;-)
If it's intended for the latter I'd still expect individual houses to be mapped, not the whole block as one object

> There are a couple of "multiple" values too, which make sense, but is undocumented and maybe overly precise.

which sense can they make if there is no documentation for it? Are they different grades of specificity for the same building? E.g. building=residential;detached_house;bungalow (always the same building)
Or are they several buildings represented by the same outline? Or are they building uses and not building types?

cheers,
Martin