[Tagging] importance=* tag (for transportation etc)

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Fri Mar 18 21:36:21 UTC 2016

I was told point-blank by the head of OSM-carto on github That (as I remember it)

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/323

A) "importance" is unverifiable, so it is useless for OSM.

Gravitystorm:
"Importance' and related concepts fails the absolutely vital verifiability test, so it's not a suitable concept for OSM."

B) I assume then it will not be supported in -carto renderings.

My example us d mountains in the post, as I had pictures to illustrate the issue.

I wanted importance=local-city-regional-national-international or similar tag to put on mountains to control when it is rendered (So Mt Fuji and Mt Everest is rendered at a very low zoom level, mt Rushmore is rendered at a little closer zoom, San Gregornio (in Los Angeles) is rendered at a regional level, Mt Helix on a city level, and My tiny, unimportant little peak next to Mt Helix is rendered at a very local level (Grossmont Peak).

This allows someone to say "these little named points all over the top of Mt Fuji (there are 7) should only be rendered locally (high zoom) and the Mt Fuji volcano icon should be rendered at z8 or something.

OSM wants local knowledge, per this idea, but not the kind that could lead to better rendered maps or better routing.

Javbw