[Tagging] importance=* tag (for transportation etc)

Michael Reichert nakaner at gmx.net
Fri Mar 18 22:15:53 UTC 2016

Hi John,

Am 18.03.2016 um 22:36 schrieb John Willis:
> I was told point-blank by the head of OSM-carto on github That (as I remember it)
>
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/323
>
> A) "importance" is unverifiable, so it is useless for OSM.
>
> Gravitystorm:
> "Importance' and related concepts fails the absolutely vital verifiability test, so it's not a suitable concept for OSM."

I agree that an importance tag for mountains is not a suitable concept
but a importance tag for train stations (or airports) is surveyable and
suitable for OSM. Just take the timetable or go out and stay one day on
the platforms, count and note down all stopping trains. In addition,
more important stations often have better/more facilities for
passengerts like a ticket shop (smaller ones only have vending
machines), a toilet, backeries, fast food stores, waiting rooms, etc.

If OSM would free of any importance-like tags, we would not have the
highway=* tag as we have it now. Tagging is highway=primary vs.
secondary, secondary vs. tertiary, tertiary vs. unclassified is often a
question of importance, not only width, paving and lane count.

Best regards

Michael