[Tagging] importance=* tag (for transportation etc)

Michael Reichert nakaner at gmx.net
Fri Mar 18 22:03:48 UTC 2016

Hi,

Am 18.03.2016 um 18:38 schrieb Daniel Koć:
> and it would be good to have universal scheme instead of
> railway:station_category=* or flights_range=*. Looks like it is
> being already used and quite popular:

You know that you usually have more train stations than airports per
square kilometre, don't you? :-) That's why creating on tagging scheme
for both might be difficult.

> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/importance

importance=* is mainly used in France. Usage in Germany was brought to
Germany by French mappers who mapped international TGV route
relations. It is only (with some few exceptions) used on railway
tracks, but not on stations.

http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/f6Q

> What do you think about making this scheme official?

Have you read the objections at OpenRailwayMap mailing list? Especially:
http://lists.openrailwaymap.org/archives/openrailwaymap/2016-March/00041
0.html
http://lists.openrailwaymap.org/archives/openrailwaymap/2016-March/00042
4.html
http://lists.openrailwaymap.org/archives/openrailwaymap/2016-March/00042
6.html

The old importance proposal might fit well for small countries like
Belgium, the Netherland, Austria or Switzerland. But it is not
suitable for larg countries (Germany, US) and islands (UK). How much
stations in UK or US have international trains?

Best regards

Michael

- --
ausgenommen)