[Tagging] importance=* tag (for transportation etc)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 01:13:07 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Am 18.03.2016 um 22:36 schrieb John Willis <johnw at mac.com>:
>
> OSM wants local knowledge, per this idea, but not the kind that could lead to better rendered maps or better routing.

importance is relative and it depends on your criteria which things you consider more important than others. I agree that we should better map the properties that make something important rather than stuff it all in a generalized "importance" tag. For mountains this will likely mean to look at prominence and topographic isolation, for train stations it can be amount of passengers or trains per time, or size (amount of platforms), availability of highspeed trains, etc., for airports similarly you could look at amount and size of runway/s, passengers/time, amount of connections etc.
the problem with rendering is that these calculations are typically too expensive to do them on the fly, but we could use precomputed data and integrate it in a coastline like way (external shape file or pre-computed attribute)

cheers,
Martin