[Tagging] importance=* tag (for transportation etc)

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 18:04:05 UTC 2016

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 4:26 PM, Daniel Koć <daniel at koć.pl> wrote:

> Still I think "international airport" in the name hints us something and
> is worth using this way or another to indicate importance.
> International/domestic/local fares are rather useful and popular
> description of importance level for railway (and bus!) stations and with
> military/private distinction I guess it could also work with the airports.

In the U.S. there is nothing preventing an airport operator from inserting
the word "International" (or anything else) into their name for marketing
purposes. The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) does designate
certain airports as "international" but this designation has to do with the
rules for accepting international flights and this doesn't dictate how the
airport is named. International flights into FAA non-international airports
have to request permission from the government, while such flights into an
FAA "international" airport merely need to provide notice. There are a
number of inconsequential airports that are designated by the FAA as
"international", e.g. [1]

Mike
[1]  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akron_Fulton_International_Airport