[Tagging] Subject: Feature Proposal - RFC - highway=social_path

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 06:16:06 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Am 25.03.2016 um 23:54 schrieb Alan McConchie <alan.mcconchie at gmail.com>:
>
> We propose the "social_path" value to mark so-called social trails (also known as bootleg trails or desire lines): game trails, detours, or short-cuts that have seen sufficient pedestrian use that they appear to be highway=path.

is this an actual term in British English? I didn't find it in a superficial internet search, besides a reference to urban dictionary:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Social+Path
and definitions for socio path.

> Such trails often contribute to erosion and may represent hazards to both humans and the environment.

yes, depends on the context but could be. Also logging trees contributes to erosion (actually some orders of magnitude more).

> Social trails are considered unauthorized by managing agencies and are often inventoried for remediation purposes.

sounds like you are referring to a specific jurisdiction and/or context (nature protected areas). In case access is not consented you should add access=no

Cheers,
Martin