[Tagging] Tagging natural or historic regions

David Marchal penegal at live.fr
Sun Mar 27 09:08:45 UTC 2016

Hello, there.
At least here, in France, there are numerous regions, whose unity is based either on a common historical background, for example as a medieval county or duchy like the Barrois, or on a uniform natural landscape, as the Bauges mountains or the Mont Blanc massif. These regions are often called "pays" in French, but it should not be understood as a nation, and the regions I'm talking about do not always have an administrative representations, being often known only as a traditionally-named area.
Whatever, how to map such regions? I asked on a French forum, but it seems that the issue has not really been addressed, at least not from our point of view, but there may be an existing tagging scheme for that, as I see no reason for this issue being culturally restricted to our country. I assume that, as there areas do not always have clearly defined borders, they should be tagged as a single node, but, still, how to map them?
Awaiting your answers,
Regards.