[Tagging] Tagging natural or historic regions

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 27 09:47:51 UTC 2016

Good question.

In the UK the word "country" is also used in that context, for example
"Shakespeare Country", "White Cliffs Country", "Black Country".

As to whether a node or a polygon should be used... Personally I would
prefer an approximate polygon to a node. A node may indicate location,
but it conveys no sense of the size and shape of the area. In many cases
the local government is proud enough of these areas to put up signs on
the roads saying "You are now entering ..." or "Welcome to ..." and
these could be used as points in a first-order approximation of the
extent.

I would suggest a relation with type=boundary and boundary=informal,
plus an indication of the accuracy/authority of the border like
source=guesswork, or signs, or local authority brochures, ......

//colin