[Tagging] Tagging natural or historic regions

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 16:18:21 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Am 27.03.2016 um 11:47 schrieb Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl>:
>
> In the UK the word "country" is also used in that context, for example "Shakespeare Country", "White Cliffs Country", "Black Country".
>
> I would suggest a relation with type=boundary and boundary=informal, plus an indication of the accuracy/authority of the border like source=guesswork, or signs, or local authority brochures, ......

I agree that a rough polygon seems better than a node because it allows to estimate the size (a new relation datatype would even be better, like a collection of (existing/already mapped) things inside (role) and outside (role) that would serve the same purpose but make it clear that it is only an estimate / that there aren't clear borders anyway).

I don't like boundary=informal though. It should be something more verbose regarding what kind of region this is (natural/geographic, (low) mountain range, area of lakes, forest, desert, plains, cultural, ethnographic, wine, etc.)

cheers,
Martin