[Tagging] Solar farms

ajt1047 at gmail.com ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 10:49:01 UTC 2016

On 28/03/2016 01:29, François Lacombe wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> Indeed power=generator + generator:method=photovoltaic is definitely
> what you need.
>
> Just remember power=generator is intended for devices instead of facilities.
> In your case, power=generator should apply on individual photovoltaic
> modules or on areas where several equivalent modules are installed.
>
> In case of a dedicated facility designed to produce electricity with
> photovoltaic modules, you may be interested to surround the whole site
> with a power=plant area.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:power%3Dplant

Unfortunately that wiki page is fairly impenetrable, and contains a few
obvious issues such as "Apart of wind farms, a power plant is an
industrial facility" (a solar array in a field might be considered
"industrial", but what about a couple of panels in someone's back
garden?  This email isn't much better (what would you consider a
"photovoltaic module" - a panel, a rack containing several panels, or
something smaller?).

It may be mistaken, but my impression is that tagging of these sorts of
facilities seems to be "wandering around" to the confusion of both
mappers and data consumers alike (see e.g. my comments on
http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/34831366 ).

Perhaps a series of examples of various types would help?  It'd make
sense to concentrate on the new facilities that mappers are likely to
encounter (around me that's wind turbines and large and small solar arrays).

> Feel free to ask for more information if needed

Consider it done :)

Best Regards,

Andy (SomeoneElse)