[Tagging] Solar farms

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Mon Mar 28 02:11:18 UTC 2016

Javbw
> On Mar 28, 2016, at 9:29 AM, François Lacombe <fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Indeed power=generator + generator:method=photovoltaic is definitely
> what you need.

A lot of solar panels I have tagged are private little installations (farmers convert a rice field to solar, with about 100 panels in a couple rows), and I tag the solar panel rows/sets individually using those tags.

But what land use is appropriate for the land? It is usually easily mappable because almost all solar panel arrays I have seen are fenced on the property lines.

I have been using landuse=commercial, but from some recent conversations about industrial, it seems I am probably wrong - though tagging industrial use land in the middle of residential/farm area seems a little weird. A lot of rice fields get converted to construction storage yards (commercial), so that is where my thinking came from.

Example:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/36.42427/139.25840

Farmers cleared some scrub and fenced off land for some panels. They have added a few more (not mapped yet).

This is all used to power the local buildings, and the extra dumped back on the grid - it's not some solar farm to generate grid electricity for the utility company.

Thoughts?

Javbw