[Tagging] furniture maker

Jonathan jonathan at bigfatfrog67.me
Thu Mar 31 10:47:43 UTC 2016

That's right Dave.  There are quite a few historical differences between a Carpenter, Joiner or Cabinet Maker

Carpenters do the “rough” stuff of putting up timber for house construction, typically “first fix” stuff.
Joiners are called in for any complex joints or for making window frames, door frames etc, typically “second fix” stuff.
Cabinet Makers do the remaining “finer” work, usually separate from the house construction task, furniture, fitted cupboards, bowls, carvings (although a “Wood Carver” would be employed for the really fine carving).
An even finer workman who makes musical instruments is called a Luthier.

While these distinctions do still apply today people often multi-task depending on their personal abilities.

However, if you want to insult a Cabinet Maker call him a Joiner or even worse a Carpenter! ;-)

From: Dave Swarthout
Sent: 31 March 2016 10:04
To: Tag discussion, strategy and related tools
Subject: Re: [Tagging] furniture maker

I think it would be cabinet_maker.

Usually a person who builds houses is not as specialized as a cabinet_maker. A cabinet_maker would be the craftsman who makes the furniture and/or kitchen cabinets for a house when it is first built or during a remodel of an existing house.


On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 3:08 PM, Andreas Labres <list at lab.at> wrote:
What would be the "correct" English term (craft=* value) for a "furniture maker"?

And what if that craftsman works on both building houses and making furniture ("Bau- und Möbeltischlerei" in German)?


Tagging mailing list
Tagging at openstreetmap.org

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Travel Blog at http://dswarthout.blogspot.com

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20160331/b45ffaf3/attachment.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list