[Tagging] building=digester

Marc Zoutendijk marczoutendijk at mac.com
Fri May 20 08:08:50 UTC 2016

> Op 20 mei 2016, om 00:03 heeft Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:
>
> I don't know where the notion came from saying a greenhouse is not a building. It is not a residence but it is most certainly a building - it has doors, walls and a roof, Just because they're made of glass doesn't disqualify it from the building category.

Dave,

That was my observation. The major problem in this discussion - as almost always is the case when people have different opinions - is a language problem. In my country, The Netherlands, we have tens of thousands of greenhouses but nobody will call them “building” because that word translates as “gebouw” and that doesn’t fit (in Dutch) to what a greenhouse is. We have just a different word for a greenhouse: “kas”. (and it might be called “bouwwerk” - something that is built; or “constructie” - something that is constructed; but never “gebouw” - building. )

How nice would it be if all words in all languages had a one-to-one relationship!
And because the lingua-franca for OSM is UK-English, more and more problems will arise in the future as more and more "non-uk-english-speakers-mappers” are trying to find out "what the heck is a village_green??”

Marc.