[Tagging] Proper Tag for Not-a-Roundabout

Mon Nov 7 22:28:34 UTC 2016

> <mailto:janjko at gmail.com>>:
>
>     Here is an example of a not-a-roundabout without lights:
>
>     https://goo.gl/maps/TVuMRZs59Kk <https://goo.gl/maps/TVuMRZs59Kk>
>
>     It even has a roundabout sign, but the right of way is clear through
>     signs on the ground.
>

> actually in case of selfcontradicting signage, the vertical signage has
> higher priority than the horizontal signage (aka road markings), i.e.
> this is a true roundabout ;-)

I have never heard that rule!
In the Netherlands the order of priority is

1 traffic signallers (i.e. "appointed" people)
2 traffic lights
3 traffic signs and road markings (on equal level)
4 rules of the road

Countrary to popular belief, in the Netherlands you don't have
precedence when you are on a roundabout - i.e. in practice you have, but
this is not the law - the precedence is ALWAYS by other signs (such as
the down-pointing triangle or "shark teeth" triangles on the road)
e.g. https://goo.gl/maps/3VVbGhE7YCn which legally is a roundabout, but
still has road markings or this roundabout
https://goo.gl/maps/UQVtqhFH3862 which has traffic lights on them but
still is a legal roundabout

So under Dutch rules of the road, a situation such as the one Janko
showed is perfectly legal (although I'm not so sure about the legallity
of the "give way" sign being on the roundabout centre instead of on the
right of the road - that'd mean you'd only need to give way before you
hit the pole....

Tijmen