[Tagging] Proper Tag for Not-a-Roundabout

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Fri Nov 18 19:14:23 UTC 2016

We had plenty of discussion over three days, unfortunately without a
resolution. We were discussing specific roundabouts, and what the best
router announcements would be in various cases. We did not decide about
a value.

Currently, OSM defines junction=roundabout with two conditions
fulfilled, i.e. going round a non-traversable island AND circular
traffic has right of way (when potential traffic lights are off)

Nobody objected the idea to assign a 'junction=' tag to installations
that fail the OSM definition above, in particular with different
right-of-way situations (all ore some incoming roads have priority). The
only objection was against "not-something" troll tagging.

So far we had on the table, with taginfo in brackets:

1 junction=circular (0)
2 junction=circular_crossing (0)
3 junction=circular_junction (0)
4 junction=traffic_circle  (35)

For comparison, junction=roundabout (429490)

My strong preference goes for 1 "junction=circular", as it is concise,
has not a biased meaning towards the roundabout-definition, and is
highly descriptive, namely a junction that is circular. Thanks Martin
for proposing.

2 does not fit so well as we have no crossing. 3 duplicates the term
'junction' in the value, we have that in the key already.
4 'junction=traffic_circle' is the N-Amer synonym for BrE roundabout,
thus might be ambiguous. The 35 current uses need to be ground-checked
what they label.

The definition for the new value needs to restrict the size a bit, e.g.
not having other roads inside the circular junction. Thus we would
exclude e.g. the motorway ring around a city.

Please note that we are just discussing the _tagging_ here. The routers
and renderers can still use it as they like, and I still do not like
announcing exit numbers on a large roundabout/circular junction.