[Tagging] Proper Tag for Not-a-Roundabout

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 12:09:43 UTC 2016

> When you give the 4th exit in turn instructions, the driver would need to
> carefully count the outgoing roads only, not the incoming. Try to
> distinguish them while you are in the inner lane in the circle, focussing
> on the lane markings and watching cars cutting in in front of you!
>
> Next, check Ernst-Reuter-Platz, which is a true roundabout from the
> priority rule.
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=52.51261&mlon=13.32183#ma
> p=18/52.51261/13.32183

yes, it's all, historically (without traffic lights) and currently (with
traffic lights) a full featured roundabout (or at least it was until 10
years ago, don't know the current situation).

> A solution could probably to improve the destination tagging on the
> outgoing roads in sync with the directional signposts, so the instructions
> can be "fork into Marchstraße towards Wedding".

yes, the particular situation of those big roundabouts is about the lane to
choose when inside. You would want to be towards the inside where you don't
exit and have to be towards the outside where you leave it.

I believe your second example is a roundabout

> (Kottbusser Tor) No, it is not. It has neither the blue signposting, nor
> has it the priority regulation of a roundabout. Counting exits would be
> difficult for the driver here, as said.

yes, but I'm also unsure if special indications would do any benefit here
in general. Most traffic is going straight and there's the subway above you
when you turn, so it's generally a situation of low transparency (subway
columns, shadow, etc.) and it doesn't really matter whether it's circular
or not (you'll typically wait at the red light if you turn, so there's a
lot of time to re-orient, IIRR).

Großer Stern makes it easy to count incoming traffic / outgoing traffic I
believe, it's so huge with many lanes and cars immitting that you can
hardly miss a crossing road, even in the inner ways.

Cheers,
Martin