[Tagging] dog toilets

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 08:02:32 UTC 2016

Upon further thought on this subject which doubtlessly keeps all of you out
of your sleep, here's a short analysis with my conclusion:

dog_toilet:
plus: it is very clear what it means, even for non-native speakers
min: * we would need cat_toilet, hamster_toilet etc over time.
* technically, a toilet is something to sit down on, made out of porcelain
with a flushing system etc. So technically, a dog "toilet" isn't a toilet.

potty_area:
plus: easily expandable to show which animals are welcomed
min: it's eufemistic babytalk, not as descriptive, especially for
non-native speakers

pet_relief_area:
plus: easily expandable
min: "relief" is very eufemistic, and doesn't even show up in many
dictionaries as associated with defecation. Non-natives might easily think
this is something completely different

So I would like to propose a completely new value: amenity=pet_toilet.
It is as descriptive as the best here, but easily expandable. It is a place
where pets go to the toilet. Obviously they don't have a sit-down toilet.
But "going to the toilet" is a very common euphemism - to the degree that
there are eufemisms to not having to utter the word toilet (going to the
bathroom).

Implied would be dog=designated, as most of these things are built for dogs
only. Of course better to add the tag.
Other pets could be added with cat=yes, etc. Maybe even toddler=permissive
for that Japanese example :)

[1]: http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/37176813

--
Joost Schouppe