[Tagging] dog toilets

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 09:58:52 UTC 2016

I am not convinced we will need a lot of other values for specific animals
in the context of amenity=pet_toilet.
Things can always be structured into more generic main tags and additional
subtags (without which the main tag does not make sufficient sense to
understand the thing). E.g. we could have come up with a tag like
amenity=communication_infrastructure and then have subtags like
communication_infrastructure=post_box,
communication_infrastructure=telephone, etc.
but we haven't.
amenity=pet_toilet would be a good tag if we were to expect a significant
amount of different pets for whom pet toilets will be set up. What I expect
is that most of these will be for dogs and a few will be for cats. That's
it. No places to bring your gold fish or canary bird are likely to be built
anywhere. Bigger animals like horses, camels, elephants, cows, etc. will
hardly fall under the "pet" category (and are unlikely to use any kind of
toilet anyway).
Rather than having a complicated theme requiring 2 hierarchical tags (at
least) to be set, I'd go with a simple:
amenity=dog_toilet
and maybe if required
amenity=cat_toilet
and if you really need,
amenity=pet_toilet (for mixed places, with subtags as required)

cheers,
Martin