[Tagging] How might we best map emergency helicopter landing zones?

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 11:39:33 UTC 2016

Dear friends,

I have worked with folks doing ground surveys of helicopter landing
zones during emergency response.

These are ground truthed locations, observed by active search and
rescue helicopter pilots collecting the basic minimum critical ground
survey items for an HLZ for their aircraft type.

They collect the data and provide it in the public domain and I would
like to map it.

I think the vast majority of the items collected are already well
supported in OSM, trees, light poles, ground type, area, grade,
landuse.

What would be the best way to map this data? Does it need its own
namespace? Just map  regular OSM tagging and render the data myself
custom?

I think issues of does the data belong in OSM are separate issues, I
am just interested in how to map it and tag it well. I would be
mapping nothing but ground truthed data that we already map every day,
trees and light poles and ground type, landuse. It is publicly
available data (CC0).

Other data could and should be added specific to HLZ's so we will need
to discuss any non traditional tags that I would like to see be used
for the HLZs mapped.

Cheers,
Blake